Sunday, February 11, 2007

Sunday Scribblings--Yummy

Apricale
Yummy
This prompt makes me think of a conversation we had over dinner last night. We were invited to dinner at the home of one of my husband’s colleagues. He and his wife are French and when the main course was served, the wife remarked that at least the dish wasn’t rabbit. Apparently they had discovered in the course of their entertaining Americans that rabbit was not always well received. Americans tend to regard rabbit as a pet, not a food. I’ve never been served rabbit in the United States although I have had it in Paris and in Italy. As meat goes, it is fairly benign in my book.
Of course that led to a number of food stories. We compared notes about challenging foods. We came up with bird’s nest soup, a French dish made of whole songbirds (orlotans)—for an interesting article about this dish click on this link—no one at the table had partaken of this delicacy as the birds are now endangered, some strange ways of preparing shrimp and so on.
My favorite, slightly shameful, food story was shared. A couple of years ago, my family and I traveled to Italy. We wound up eating one night in a delightful little restaurant in the small town of Apricale. It was one of those restaurants that didn’t have a menu—the proprietor discussed the food with you and then served it. The meat course was rabbit.
Younger son declined but older son gamely (pun intended) decided to try it. I think all would have proceeded smoothly except that before the meat dish, we had several rounds of appetizers, served with generous quantities of wine. My husband and I became a bit jovial due to the wine and atmosphere. When the rabbit dish finally arrived, my son started poking at it a bit dubiously. The meat was served in a generous sauce so it could have been from any one of a number of small animals but kids are kids. “Bunny bones,” he declared. Well, my slightly inebriated husband and I couldn’t help but laugh. The coup de grace, however, was when said husband decided to do his Elmer Fudd imitation. His rendition of “Kill the wabbit” definitely put my son off rabbit, maybe for life. Two years later, my son still gets very annoyed if we sing this song. So, being good parents, of course we do. I’m sure he is scarred for life but he has to have something to tell his future therapist.

16 comments:

Regina said...

My mom could never eat lamb for that same reason- to her, a little lamb was more like a pet than a food! Although I love lamb myself...
We have had some pretty exotic foods throughout our world travels, but the baby octopus has to be the most challenging for me- simply because it's moving all over the place before you eat it!
Great post, sarala! And your poor son- I'm sure he'll get over it!

Anonymous said...

Your post in interesting...and hilarious! Wine and rabbit for the uninitiated — not a good combo — thanks for the cautionary tale. ;)

I loved how the "Looney Tunes" reference made its way into the meal. The old Warner Bros. cartoons which have operatic themes/references are among the most side-splitting.

Herb Urban said...

I had an interesting experience in China. A very lovely young lady who befriended was kind enought to take us to a local authetic schezuan restaurant. My wife and I no longer eat meat, which is a real challenge in southern China. I was brave and tried some frog, out of respect for our dining host. It would have been fine had every bite I took not contain a thousand little bones.

Excellent thought provoking post.

Liza on Maui said...

Quite funny, quite yummy! Very Good post!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Too funny! My in-laws waise wabbits for food, and I do eat them (quite tasty)--but I can't be introduced to them while they're still alive. Then I'd have issues. Great story :)

Waspgoddess said...

Very funny story, I feel for your poor son, but in your place would have thoroughly enjoyed teasing him just as much.

In Sweden horse meat is pretty common, and really quite yummy. We also eat a lot of big game, like reindeer, moose and bear. As much as visitors tend to struggle with the concept of eating Rudolph, it's the horse meat hurdle where they usually fall, head first.

Anonymous said...

My daughter teases me, "Jow can I eat lamb? They're sooooooo cute, she says." (We rarely have lamb due to the expense but not the point.

Your bunnytale was very entertaining, espcially that ending. I am laughing at imaganing the rendition. You are so funny about of course you and hubby sing and son having something to tell his therapist. We hve a similar philosphy with humor. Still smiling. Thx

BendingPeak said...

Fun story!
I am not a fan of exotic foods, and little cotton tail does not sound yummy, no matter how much sauce you have with it.
Have a good week,
Heather

Anonymous said...

You're freakin' hilarious!

Heather in Beautiful BC said...

That was a great story! It's always good to make memories with your kids - he'll get a lot of mileage out it over the years...

Thanks for clicking on my 'Review My Post' Badge - you proved to me it's not working :(

Snail said...

Rabbit ... yum! There's a Maltese cafe near my place that serves rabbit stew with dumplings. Very tasty.

Misplaced said...

This is a wonderful post. Thanks

Crafty Green Poet said...

What a beautiful photo!!!!

Your story reminds me of a friend in Germany, who let me cuddle the rabbits she kept in the garden. I wasn't so happy one evening at supper when her mother said 'you like rabbit then?' pointing at the meat on our plates. I can accept people eating rabbit, but I don't want to eat a rabbit I've made friends with thinking (naively) it was a family pet! I became a vegetarian soon after that!!!

Attila the Mom said...

My son was reading over my shoulder, and both of us are just boggling at that picture. It's amazing!

We did something similar with Rocky Mountain Oysters. Don't think the kid will ever forgive us. LOL

Andrea Frazer said...

Bunny bones is hilarious. At least you didn't check out a bald waiter and comment that he had a receding hare line. As far as your son needing therapy, just us being parents is enough to send them over the edge. I say use your money for Italy trips and let him finance his own therapy like the rest of us.

angela said...

You were so close. Apricale's about an hour away from me..
I can't eat rabbit either, keep thinking of that song "Bright Eyes"
Angela