Thursday, February 08, 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday

What kind of care do you take of your books? Let's review, shall we?



  1. Are you careful with the spines? Or do you crack your books open to make them lay flat? I'm generally pretty careful with the spines. I treat even trashy books as if they are valuable.

  2. Do you use bookmarks? Or do you dog-ear the corners? If you do use bookmarks, do you use those fashionable metal ones? Or paper? I generally use random bits of paper as bookmarks. The magazine subscription cards work well. With the books I am reading and plan on writing up reviews, I have been dog-earing a bit.

  3. Do you write in your books? Ever? If you do, do you make small marks, or write in as much blank space as you can find? Pen or pencil? Highlighter? Your name on the front page? Almost never except textbooks which I mark up liberally with highlighters mostly.

  4. Do you toss your books on the floor? Into book bags? Or do you treat them tenderly, with respect? Books go everwhere, floor, bags, purse, back of car.

  5. Do you ever lay your book face-down, to save your place? Not too often.

  6. Um--water? Do you bathe with your books? Hold them with wet hands? Read out in the rain? Anything of that sort? Only junky books are allowed near the tub. Who reads out in the rain? I'd get wet.

  7. Are your books lined up on a bookshelf? Or crammed in any which way? Stacked on the floor? All of the above.

  8. Do you make a distinction--as regards book care--between hardcovers and paperbacks? Hardcovers get better care.

  9. And, to recap? Naturally, you love all of your books, but how, exactly? Are your books loved in the battered way of a well-loved teddy bear, or like a cherished photo album or item of clothing that's used, appreciated, but carefully cared for? Well used but not too banged up. So not like an heirloom to be kept under glass but not kicked around either.

  10. Any additional comments? I wish I found it easier to throw books out. I have trouble getting rid of books even if they are pure trash and I hated them. There is some sort in inherent respect for me for everything in book form that is hard to overcome.

6 comments:

Anne said...

good one! i like the one about not throwing even the hated, trashy books out. i can relate. we are currently going through lots of books around here, and reorganizing. the ones that don't fit in our small house, or we don't need right now are being carefully packed away. it's never-ending!

Darla said...

I have a lot of trouble getting rid of books, too--even ones I didn't like. It helps if I know somebody wants them, so I've been giving some away through my local Freecycle, but it's still not easy. :)

Melody said...

Count me in, ladies! ;P

I agree it's hard getting rid of them, especially some with beautiful covers but not-so-great stories!

Maybe we should prepare a list of the titles that we don't want and circulate around...who knows there might be someone who wants them!!!

Andree said...

Hi again! I'm finally home from work and can leisurely read and comment on the meme. As I read the responses I keep wondering what it is about books (only paper after all) that we hold dear so that we can't even throw away an old book.

Perhaps it is the physical object that links ourselves to other humans and creates a community of strangers that we may never meet. It's fascinating.

Have a great (warmer) week!

Literary Feline said...

I enjoyed reading your answers, Chris! Like many others here, I tend to hold on to my books too. I have this idea in my head that I want to--need to--move some of the books along that I know I won't read again, but it's still hard to part with them.

Unknown said...

I agree, those anonying magazine cards make great bookmarks!