Sunday, February 18, 2007

Sunday Scribblings--Crush

A rose

There’s a somebody I’m longing to see
I hope that she turns out to be
Someone who’ll watch over me

Thank you Gershwin for that and many other songs of love or of wishing for love. Whether sung by Ella Fitzgerald or Frank Sinatra, this is the song that the word “Crush” brings to mind. For isn’t a crush always the waiting, the longing? Crush implies an unrequited love, or at least the wish to be in love with someone. And crushes are sort of high-schoolish, in other words, not serious enough for heartbreak and not mature enough to count for much. Not that some one at my advanced age can’t have a crush. We might fall for a handsome TV actor. I have a crush on both House (Hugh Laurie) and his wimpy friend Wilson (Robert Sean Leonard). It is always hard to choose between the dangerous older man and the nice but boring old friend. But nothing will come of it because we have commitments and besides crushes aren’t for real.
Back when I was 18 and had a crush on my friend’s older brother, I did hope that he would notice me in that way. I was a college freshman and he was a junior and he seemed interested in me. Or at least he smiled at me, and he had a cute smile. But probably he was being nice and I was being a bit puppyish. He had a girlfriend and I was just his little sister’s friend. I hoped for a while and then it faded away. No harm done. And then I got a real boyfriend and forgot about crushes in the heady experience of falling in love for the first time.
At 45, I spend more time enjoying my children’s first little crushes. I have someone to watch over me and that matters more than any crush. Besides, I’m pretty darn good at looking after myself too.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I listen to my daughters' crushes far more than having fleeting ones of mine. I can't remember having one other than thinking Pierce Brosnan's blue eyes were rather dashing combined with his accent several years ago.

Loved your opening. That is one of my favorite songs!! We were lucky enough to see a wonderful one man show about Gershwin....and someone suprised us all by singing that from the wings.

Anonymous said...

"I have someone to watch over me and that matters more than any crush. Besides, I’m pretty darn good at looking after myself too."

Absolutely, and good for you! I'm in the same boat myself. :) Though I do look back on my young crushes fondly.

Now I'm trying to figure out ways to coax along some single girlfriends to leave their crushes behind — so many of them have carried them into adulthood and "pursue" them relentlessly — and go for the risk and rewards of real love. I think sending them the "crush" Sunday Scribblings post should do the trick.

gautami tripathy said...

Very sweet post. I enjoyed reading it.

gautami
Painfully yours..

paris parfait said...

Someone to Watch Over Me is one of my favourite songs! Ah, Gershwin and Fitzgerald! I especially like your last two lines.

Regina said...

I am singing that song in my head now- it might be there for days! ;)
Wonderful post!

Jone said...

I enjoyed reading your reflective poece. I especially loved the last part.

Shelby said...

Hello, lovely post today :)

I answered your question to me in my blog earlier, but wanted to make sure you knew - yes I ask flickr photographers for permission to post their pics - and I provide a link underneath that pic back to the photographer. You should ask each photographer individually and not assume a flickr policy - and also provide that link if you don't.

take care.

Liza on Maui said...

ohhh, my husband and I loves Gershwin's music (especially Someone To Watch Over Me) and I agree, it doesn't matter if Frank or Ella sings it...it's a very romantic song that brings the word "crush" to mind.

This is a wonderful scribbling :)

Debo Blue said...

Your site is as comforting as pumpkin bread!

I love that song no matter who sings or plays it.

I too love the last two lines because I have God to watch over me and I HAVE to watch over me too.

Pepper said...

That is one of my all time favorite songs. Beautiful Post.