Monday, December 25, 2006

A Tidal Bore

No, I am not referring to myself. Maybe a total bore but not a tidal one. Except for one of those days of the month? My astrological sign is Cancer and is somehow tied in with the moon, but no, this time I really saw a tidal bore. This is what happens when an incoming tide fights with an outgoing river and the tide wins. I think probably the December high tide is a bit more than normal judging by the waves on the ocean and the lack of appreciable beach near high tide today.
IMG_6471
So here I am waiting for lunch at Kalaloch Lodge which has a lovely view of the outlet of the Kalaloch river watching a few logs drift lazily toward the ocean when I noticed that a large raft of logs was heading upstream like a herd of surfers riding a wave. IMG_6478
There is something about the view of 20 or 30 logs gleefully racing upstream that spoke of awesome power to me. Nature never ceases to surprise and delight me.
IMG_6479
I looked up the phenomenon of tidal bores on the internet and learned that they are relatively uncommon and are studied by scientists as a model for the behavior of tsunamis. All the roads around here have signs pointing out the way to flee if a tsunami should hit. I could do without this little blessing from nature.
So here is my first ever tidal bore as seen in pictures.
IMG_6480
For more photos click on the Flickr widget on my sidebar.

4 comments:

kevin said...

that is very cool, it is quite amazing that had yourself in such a scenario. I have never heard of such a thing, I am glad you were able to notice it and take some pictures!

Barb said...

That is awesome and awe inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's pretty cool. It must have been amazing to watch in person.

p said...

did you take all of these photos? the last 2, especially the last one are excellent. lots to learn, i didn't know what flotsam was...now tidal bores. i feel puny.