Saturday, February 28, 2009

I've Been Interviewed!

Me at the Beach

Like an actual famous person. I once was on TV, on PBS, but this is cooler. Thanks to Chris of A Free Man for the opportunity and to my interviewer, Rob, author of the blog Drinking Ales, for the thought provoking questions.

1. You are a great photographer! My Dad was a photographer too. How old were you when you got your first camera? What kind was it? And what kind of camera are you using now?

Gee thanks for the compliment. Actually my father gave me my first (and second and third and fourth) cameras. I vaguely remember we used to have a darkroom in the house when I was a little kid. He’s no pro but he encouraged my interest and took me places that were wonderful to photograph.
I have no clue what my first camera was—some kind of Kodak point and shoot I think. I remember I had a Yashica one year too.
Right now I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT. It is my first SLR type camera and I am loving it so much I want to upgrade.

2. What's your favorite place you've ever visited?
I have so many favorite places. The Olympic beaches in Washington state are my favorite relaxed place and, at the risk of being trite, Paris is my favorite city. I had the privilege of living for six months in Paris while I was in college and am truly in love with the city.

3. What's the most photographic city/state in your opinion?
In the U.S.? Of course it depends on what you are looking for. I obviously love Chicago but I wouldn’t claim it is the best. In a way it might be California for the diversity of natural wonders—Yosemite, the ocean, Sequoia, and so on—and urban beauties such as San Francisco. But I could go with Colorado, Washington, or Wyoming too. I think I would have to pick a western state.

4. What book are you currently reading?
The Sum of Our Days by Isabel Allende. I’d only give it 3 stars out of 5. Probably not her best work to start with. Ms. Allende sure is a character.

5. Name one famous (or not) person you'd love to sell your photographs to.
Whoa! You mean someone would buy my photos?
Barack Obama. His Chicago home is only a mile from me and I think he would share my love of the seedier side of Chicago.

6. Beer or wine?
Wine.

7. You were in a production of the Nutcracker. If you could play any part in the remake of any movie, what role would you choose?
You have got to be kidding. Me act? I’d pick an oldie, one with Katherine Hepburn, I think. I’d like to play a feisty broad who didn’t play the game by the rules. No cigarettes allowed, though.

8, Wouldn't it be cool to have a voodoo doll?? ( One that really worked)?
I know exactly who I’d use it on too.

9. You're hiking in the mountains taking pictures when a blizzard suddenly sets in. You're too far from the base to hike down, thankfully you come across a small cabin. Lucky! You open the door and sitting on a cot, to your chagrin; is Paris Hilton. Do you a.) Stay and ride out the storm, trying to carry on a conversation with her? b.) Try and wedge Paris into the wood-stove? C.) Run screaming from the cabin and take your chances in the storm?
a) I’m a psychiatrist. I’d spend the long hours holed up in the cabin trying to figure out what makes her tick. With my luck we’d be stuck there for weeks with her using me for free therapy.

10. Are Irish people the most charming and wittiest folks you know?
Some of my best friends are Irish. Actually I only just met you, so I can't say yet.

8 comments:

p said...

too fun...
hey are you letting your hair grow again?

Unknown said...

No just way too long between haircuts.

Larry said...

Pretty cool-good for you!What did you do on PBS? Is therre any way you can post a video clip on your blog-it might be interesting.

A Free Man said...

Oh, come on. PBS must have been cooler! Nice job, you two. I particularly like the Paris Hilton question and answer.

Unknown said...

Thanks all. Larry I was on a show called Children's Hospital that ran on PBS. They did an episode where they followed a child I was working with. They stick a humungous camera up your nose and then ask you to act natural. I don't have anything but an old VHS tape and wouldn't know how to post it on You-Tube. Too bad.

Jud said...

I don't know how I missed this post. Awesome stuff, nice photo of the artist and a lover of Olympic? Too much fun.

Larry said...

You'd probably have to have it trasferred to DVD -then?

Unknown said...

Regarding the PBS thing, I probably should find the tape and consider having it transferred to DVD before it is too late. Maybe one day I'll put it out there on You Tube until PBS catches me and yanks it down.