Thursday, April 26, 2007

Poetry Thursday--bowing out this week

Sorry Poetry Thursday folks. This will be the second week I bow out of the optional prompt. Last week, I knew I wasn’t going to stash my poems in corners of the greater Chicago area. I just couldn’t do it. I wouldn’t even stash Shakespeare’s poems for that matter, but mine . . . !
This week, there just weren’t enough hours in the day. I think I wrote a Villanelle for English class in high school. I spent hours on it and had a good time but didn’t get a very good grade. I remember the disappointment, not because I was obsessed with grades (which I was), but because I actually liked the poem I had written. I guess you can’t win ‘em all.
Kudos to all of you who did either or both assignments. You are hardier and braver souls than I. You folks make up a great community which will keep me writing, reading and thinking about poems and the people who write them.
Yesterday morning I did an unusual thing. I sat in the bathtub and read a poem or two. That day’s reading was Louise Gluck. The first time I opened the book, I was unimpressed but liked it more the second reading. I don’t have the book in front of me so I can’t tell you the title at the moment. Something with meadow in it I think.
My poem for the day is a photograph. I am very proud of this photo. I think it is one of my best wildlife photos. I think the wee bird should be very proud of his fine appearance and judging from the photo, he is.

8 comments:

Kathe said...

I agree. I love this shot too.

Crafty Green Poet said...

That's a lovely wee bird and he does look proud! What species is it?

Crafty Green Poet said...

sorry i should have been patient and read the previous post too! They're very different from our whitethroats!

Cyn Bagley said...

It is a beautiful photo. I guess a white-crowned sparrow--??? We have a few that come to the feeder with our finches, yellow-rumped warblers, and western scrub-jays. AND yes, they do play well together.

Regina said...

I'll have to check out Louise Gluck...
I think your poem pic is lovely- nature is poetic!

Debo Blue said...

Great photo. I wish I could be that good.

Sigh.

Petunia said...

Your photo is lovely. Very much in the celebration of Spring. And it brings up the same emotions that a poem would.

gautami tripathy said...

Loved the photo.