Monday, October 06, 2008

Stinkhorn Mushrooms

Stinkhorn Mushrooms

I finally found out what the name of my earlier posted phallic mushrooms is. Trust biologists to have a sense of humor. They are aptly named Phallus impudicus. The history of these little buggers (pun intended) is quite humorous. According to Mushroomexpert.com Charles Darwin's granddaughter stalked the wild impudicus to prevent her female servants from having impure thoughts. Fortunately old 21st century ladies such as myself are allowed the occasional impure thought! These mushrooms (supposedly edible but don't take my word for it) are also called Stinkhorns due to their terrible smell (which fortunately I missed while taking their pictures) which attracts flies which transport their spore carrying slime to other locations. Too cool! It does explain all the little insects hovering over the specimens I saw last week.

Stinkhorn Macro

3 comments:

Rayne said...

These are cool looking! So funny about hunting them down to save the servants from thinking nasty things.

Amelia Sprout said...

That is just wrong... and so cool.

Bibliophile said...

Funny story and nice photos. Thanks for the visit.