Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Eu nao falo portugues

Guarda, Portugal

I don't speak Portuguese! This is totally obvious. I feel like my younger son must have felt at three when he was having language difficulties. He knew what he wanted to say but just couldn't deliver it! Portugal is lovely. I have a Spanish-Portuguese phrase book which is helpful if really slow since my Spanish is far from fluent. Plus I have no clue how to pronounce the Portuguese!
I probably know nearly half the words in my Spanish-English phrase book from independent study and many trips to Central America. I probably sound Mexican to the Spanish since I forget to lisp the C on "gracias" which sounds to me more like "grathias". Of course, this is the least of my worries here in Portugal.
I just got here last night and am heading to the beach to feel sand on my toes in a few minutes. I don't know the word for beach in Portuguese and can't find it in the phrase book but I know how to point the front of my car to the west. Of course, last night that just got me lost in an estuary.

River at Sunset

1 comment:

JL said...

TP went to Rio for her brother's wedding last month, and her comment was that Porto sounds exactly like Spanish with a lisp. So you're on the right track.