Friday, March 30, 2007

Spring is here

Just in case you forgot.

Red leaves in spring

And then I remembered a song from one of the all time funny song writers--Tom Lehrer. You have to be of a certain age and from a family with a certain kind of inherent nastiness to know of him I think. Some of his Cold War songs are pretty funny in a sick kind of way. Remember the days of nuclear bomb drills in school? If you do, we know you are old like me :).

So here is old Tom from his album An Evening (Wasted) with Tom Lehrer. Go to this site for the full set of lyrics (if you can stomach it). To really appreciate this you really have to hear Lehrer singing and commenting. Enjoy!

Poisoning Pigeons in the Park

I'd like to take you now on wings of song as it were, and try and help you forget, perhaps, for a while, your drab wretched lives. Here is a song all about springtime in general, and in particular about one of the many delightful pastimes that the coming of spring affords us all.

Spring is here, a-suh-puh-ring is here.
Life is skittles and life is beer.
I think the loveliest time of the year is the spring.
I do, don't you? 'Course you do.
But there's one thing that makes spring complete for me,
And makes every Sunday a treat for me.

All the world seems in tune
On a spring afternoon,
When we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Every Sunday you'll see
My sweetheart and me,
As we poison the pigeons in the park.

5 comments:

Kathe said...

Funny!

Misplaced said...

I love Tom Lehr- you can actually get his albums on CD- I highly recommend it.

p said...

that is a very painterly photo, the background focusing really seems unreal. very unusual photo!
glad to see the mosiac table got uploaded....fun stuff!

Shelby said...

Hi. My eastoforegom blog had to be deleteed, I'm now at shelbydupree.blogspot.com

sorry for the hassle, but I'm back - just different.

have a great day :)

Kimberley McGill said...

Tom is a hoot! My husband introduced me to him (his music, that is) - He gets all kinds of reactions from the aghast to snortling laughter. I'm close to snortling on the contimuum. Thanks for posting this.