Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Long Days

I realized that I don't have it in me to produce much of anything for this day's posting. Last night I worked late. My day started at 7:30 AM with getting the kids out to school. I left for my office at 9:30 AM, saw my first patient at 10:15 and ushered my last out the door at 9:30 PM. I didn't make it home until 10:30 at which point I said good-night to older son, younger was asleep, husband, read half an hour and went to bed. I had an hour off for lunch, 1/2 hour to take care of business thanks to a now-show and that was it. Dinner didn't happen.
This is self-inflicted. I could set limits but it is hard to stop trying to save the world. It is a character strength and weakness all at the same time. I have another nine hour stint ahead of me today, so I guess I should grab some food and head on out.
See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I relate to these long days/nights "self-inflicted" and I also"could set limits for myself." It's very hard when you're in the helping fields, as you said. I used to practice full-time in a field related to yours. I'm not of retirement age, but I did switch to part-time for that and full-time for art & writing, resulting in very long days and nights, but I'm happier!

I've implemented some more changes in order to make some time for me, instead of giving to others until I drop, like using music more, as you saw from my current post.

Still, I need to do more of that. (I'm typing this from my laptop while in the "reading room" after moving my computer from the office part of my studio where I was printing business cards. It would be much more relaxing not to have to multi-task for "me time.)

My wee hr current music post was just for me. It was part of my wind-down to listen to Enya, check pressing work email, after 24+ straight hours of painting, and other tasks. I've cut that back, because I used to immerse myself regularly that way. It's not healthy. (I don't drive on no sleep.) I think balancing these needs to give to others vs some rejuvenation or plain "any time" for ourselves is the one of the hardest balances in life to achieve.

Rose of Sharon said...

Saving the world, huh? :) I'm glad that you're out there doing it! Sorry that you're having to work such long hours. Do take some time to breathe and treat yourself right. You don't need me to tell you that! :)

Debo Blue said...

Great comment Gel.

Sarala, thank Goodness you don't have to care for aging parents.

Get some rest although I'm now being purely hypocritical because I'm looking at a six day, 55 hour workweek. I'm at the laptop trying to wind down.

Who knew reading blogs could be so therapeutical?

Barb said...

Oh my gosh... what a long, long day! What would you tell someone else to do if they were working like that?