Thursday, December 14, 2006

Please don't laugh at me--Thursday Poetry Challenge #2

O.K. I liked the challenge to write a poem about a street because I immediately came up with the perfect street from my life.
This is the first poem I've thrown out in the blogosphere (except for a silly one for an earlier Sunday Scribblings). So laugh silently please.

Tiara

Tiara ought to mean
Lady Di before
Bulimia, Divorce, Death.

Amethyst crystals hidden
Within a geode,
Snow-capped mountains
On a sunny day,
Rime of ice
On partly frozen pond.

Tiara, actually, is:
A quiet street,
Ranch homes,
Dichondra lawns
Pavement burning
On bare toes.

Sprinklers activated daily
With metal key,
Palm trees,
A monkey named Kong,
Honest!
Crushing snails against stone.
They eat the plants.

Daily walks
Prevent heart disease.
Family feasts:
Brisket made with catsup.
Swimming and sewing.
She’s a seamstress.

Tiara,
Crown of memories.

12 comments:

ren powell said...

I'd say bravo, you're brave- but you don't have to be brave to post this fine poem! Great details.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading that. I hope you'll carry on writing poems on your blog!

Rose of Sharon said...

Wonderful! I loved it. Especially your first stanza.

Brisket with catsup, huh? And swimming and sewing!

Crown of memories...I love it! Great job!

m.m.crow said...

hey there
no laughing necessary. it's a great poem.
m.m.crow

Shelby said...

I love`it! :)

p said...

ditto, good stuff. original + brings up many images in my mind.
quite surprising!

Steven said...

I'm not gonna laugh...

Just chuckle a bit. ;)

Seriously though...it wasn't bad.

Steve~

Anonymous said...

Due to my inability to see things accurately I read the last line as ‘clown of memories’. It made perfect sense that way too.

Clockworkchris said...

I'm surprised you are worried about people laughing. That's not what this is about, but your poem was wonderful and very unique. I don't think I've seen any poems online about Lady Di, much less what a tiara means to you. Keep it up!

Rethabile said...

C'mon, you did know that it wasn't a poem to laugh about, but to enjoy. Right?

twilightspider said...

This is a great effort - you should give yourself more credit! I especially loved:

"Pavement burning
On bare toes."

I could feel it even as I was reading.

Pip said...

Thanks for posting a line from this great poem to Poetry Thursday for this week's challenge. I really enjoyed using it in my own writing!